IHT Media Appearances
- Samantha Thomas article https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/03/a-massive-public-health-problem-australian-children-as-young-as-10-are-hooked-on-gambling
- Samantha Thomas opinion piece in the guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/03/the-parallels-between-tobacco-and-gambling-are-striking-so-why-are-we-ignoring-the-lessons-of-the-past
- Samantha Thomas’s research was referenced in a speech regarding the Gambling Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 presented in the Parliament of Victoria: Legislative Assembly on 18 October 2023 https://new.parliament.vic.gov.au/parliamentary-activity/hansard/hansard-details/HANSARD-2145855009-22445
- Samantha Thomas appeared on ABC Radio (syndicated) commenting on her research into the impact of gambling advertising on youth.
- Editorial – with Samantha Thomas, Simone McCarthy, Hannah Pitt: https://academic.oup.com/heapro/article/38/5/daad110/7280079
- Hannah Pitt: ABC PM, ABC The Conversation Hour, and Tuesday Drive Eastside Radio.
- Dr Simone McCarthy: ABC Melbourne, Wednesday Drive Eastside Radio, and provided comment in the following Guardian article:
- Dr Sara Holton and Professor Bodil Rasmussen have recently had their 15th article (https://doi.org/10.1071/AH23120) published from their research program investigating the psychosocial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare workers and students; one of the first in Australia. The program was initially funded by IHT and is a multidisciplinary collaboration between researchers, clinicians and fifteen public, private and community health services in Australia and Denmark including Western Health, Barwon Health, Eastern Health, Epworth Healthcare, Monash Health, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Odense University Hospital and the Victorian Healthcare Association. The findings have attracted much media attention including print articles and radio interviews and were also highlighted in an article in The Conversation (https://theconversation.com/6‐ways‐to‐prevent‐a‐mass‐exodus‐of‐health‐workers‐172509) and IHT’s Healing Health podcast (https://iht.deakin.edu.au/podcasts/unmasking-healthcare-workers-experiences-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/). The findings have been used by decision and policy makers to improve the health and wellbeing of healthcare workers including by the Victorian Department of Health to support the wellbeing of Victorian healthcare workers and Western Health to refine their COVID‐19 wellbeing and support initiatives for staff. The findings have also been highlighted in healthcare policy documents including the World Health Organization’s Technical Brief about strengthening the nurse and midwifery workforce.
- Prof Bodil Rasmussen recently had an article published in Insight Plus titled: Breast cancer screening rates questioned for women with diabetes https://insightplus.mja.com.au/2023/38/breast-cancer-screening-rates-questioned-for-women-with-diabetes/
- Kathryn Backholer , Osagie Ebekozien , Karen Hofman , J. Jaime Miranda & Samuel Seidu. Article titled: Health equity in endocrinology https://www.nature.com/articles/s41574-023-00912-6
- Catherine Bennett had multiple appearances for her expert opinion on COVID-19 including ABC Radio, 2CC Radio, The Age and an article in The Guardian titled: State lockdowns and border closures will be examined by federal Covid inquiry, panel member insists https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/06/covid-19-inquiry-albanese-government-labor
- Tony LaMontagne co-authored a Lancet paper on ‘Work-related causes of mental health conditions…’ and explores the question: Can poor working conditions contribute to the onset of mental health disorders? Launched at the World Health Summit in Berlin, the new The Lancet Series explores the complex relationships between work and health: Work and Health (thelancet.com)
- Lucy Kerr has two recent publications:
– Kerr L, Bourne A, Hill AO, McNair R, Wyatt K, Lyons A, Carman M, Amos N. Cervical screening among LGBTQ people: how affirming services may aid in achieving cervical cancer elimination targets. Women Health. 2023 Oct 21;63(9):736-746. doi: 10.1080/03630242.2023.2263594. Epub 2023 Oct 12. PMID: 37779316.
– Kerr, L., Newman, P., & Russo, P.(2023). ‘I don’t want to impose on anybody’: Older people and their families discuss their perceptions of risk, cause and care in the context of falls. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 00, e12578. https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12578